Thanks to intensive therapy, I gave that up awhile ago. But I still faced a problem. I keep a record of the books I read; I couldn't possibly invest 20 or 30 pages into a book, only to set it aside....without somehow recording that I had at least given it a shot. You understand, right? Please say yes.
So I simply added a new notation to my annual reading record, a simple mark that would indicate books I never finished, and didn't plan to. Now, keep in mind that there will be some fine writers on the following list, and even some fine books. Sometimes I stop reading because a book is boring, but sometimes it has more to do with the mood I'm in or the sort of reading experience I was expecting. So please, no nasty letters. And please don't tell the estimable Max Lucado that he's on the list; he knows people. So, having said that, here's the last ten books I didn't finish:
- Jerusalem, by Karen Armstrong
- Making Stress Work for You, by Lloyd Ogilvie
- Cure for the Common Life, by Max Lucado
- Two Days Longer, by Beth Lueders
- Hideous Kinky, by Esther Freud
- Time's Arrow, by Martin Amis
- Cloudsplitter, by Russell Banks
- Rabbi Jesus, by Bruce Chilton
- Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
- The Power of One, by Bruce Courtenay
What about you? What was the last book YOU didn't finish?