The Right-Sized Church

On our recent trip to Peru, while eating breakfast in a Cuzco hotel frequented by Christian mission groups, I overheard a comment, in English: "My church is just the right size." To which I was dying to interject (but didn't), "NO SUCH THING! No church on earth is just the right size, because Jesus calls us--COMMANDS us--to enlarge it, to bring in one more, to go out even into the highways and byways and persuade at least ONE MORE to come in."

I had a friend say to me once, "I'm not sure what I think about megachurches." I knew what he meant, but I said something like, "I don't care what YOU think about megachurches. But it's hard for me to believe that Jesus would say to ANY church, 'Stop growing. Stop reaching. Stop before you get too big.'"

There's not a church in the world that is the right size...until all have been saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment