My 2012 Reading Plan

It's time once more for me to plan my reading for the year. As I've posted about here and here, I devise a reading plan at the beginning of every year, to help guide my reading in the months to come (it usually turns out that half or more of my reading is spontaneous, so my plan is plenty flexible). So here are some of the books I hope to get to in the course of 2012:

Memoir:
The Bread of Angels (Saldana)
The Hiding Place (ten Boom)

Biography:
Splendor of God (Morrow)
The Autobiography of George Muller (Muller)
A Man Called Peter (Marshall)

Classics
Les Miserables (Hugo)
Bleak House (Dickens)
Gulliver's Travels (Swift)

Writing:
How to Be A Writer (Baig)
Hooked (Edgerton)
The Virginia Woolf Writer’s Workshop (Jones)

History:
The Gifts of the Jews (Cahill)
Desire of the Everlasting Hills (Cahill)
How the Irish Saved Civilization (Cahill)

New authors:
Possession (Byatt)
Wolf Song (Fergusson)
The Corrections (Franzen)
A Soldier of the Great War (Helprin)
I, Elizabeth (Miles)
Libra (DeLillo)
Amos Walker: The Complete Stories (Estleman)

Poetry:
Writing the River (Shaw)

Favorites:
Code of the West (Grey)
Chancy (L’Amour)
The Cherokee Trail (L’Amour)

Christian:
The Naked Life (Banks)
The Power of a Whisper (Hybels)
The End of Religion (Cavey)
The Challenge of Jesus (Wright)
Just Think (Nordenson)
Seeing the Unseen (Hunt)

Related books; (read in order):
Les Miserables (Hugo) & Cosette (Kalpakian)
Something Rotten (Fforde) & Gertrude & Claudius (Updike)

International and inter-cultural:
The Bread of Angels (Saldana)

Contemplative/Devotional:
The Next Chapter After the Last (Tozer)
Introduction to the Devout Life (de Sales)
With Christ in the School of Prayer (Murray)

Friends:
In Shady Groves (Lehman)
Lonestar Sanctuary (Coble)
Solitary (Thrasher)

Mule-choker:
Les Miserables (Hugo)
A Soldier of the Great War (Helprin)

Books about books:
For the Love of Books (Shwartz)
My Reading Life (Conroy)

Other:
84 Charing Cross Road (Hanff)
The Last Dickens (Pearl)
11/22/63 (King)
How to Stay Alive in the Woods (Angier)

That’s 46 (some are listed more than twice because they fit multiple categories)…probably the most realistic ratio of planned reading to total reading in a few years. Considering how many free books I read on my iPad these days, downloaded on a whim, I think that’s a pretty do-able list.

No comments:

Post a Comment