Motivation

Discovered this clever video on Tony Morgan's blog. It's by a guy named Dan Pink, whose findings say that the three factors that lead to better performance are autonomy, mastery and purpose. Contrary to what you might have thought, we are not motivated by money (he elaborates more in his recent book, Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us).



I must say that's definitely true of me, and it's definitely true of the other pastors I work with. But in the church, and in my church, the tendency is NOT toward autonomy, mastery and purpose, and I think we generally assume our leaders will be motivated, and give virtually no thought to the factors that will tend to motivate them. And, moreover, I think we find it easier to punish than to motivate.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment