Top Ten Last Words

I shared several of these (not the whole list) in the intro to my message this past Sunday, "The Last Words," on Revelation 22, the final installment in our awesome "How to Survive the End of the World" series at Cobblestone. So, here are those last words, plus a few more to make the Top Ten Last Words:

10. Lady Astor, the first female member of the British parliament, on her deathbed awoke and saw herself surrounded by family members. Her last words: “Am I dying. . . Or is this my birthday?”

9. Ethan Allen--the American patriot, not the furniture store--was told by his doctor, “General, I am afraid the angels are waiting for you,” to which Allen replied, “Waiting are they? Waiting are they? Well, LET ‘EM wait!”

8. The dying words of Pancho Villa, the famous Mexican bandit, were, “Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something.”

7. Julius Caesar: "Et tu, Brute?"

6. Caesar Augustus: "I found Rome brick, I left it marble."

5. The emperor Caligula: "I am still alive."

4. Believe it or not, the last words of Leonardo da Vinci--creator of the Mona Lisa and the Last Supper, among many other works of art and science--were, "I have offended God and mankind because my work did not reach the quality it should have."

3. Writer and scalawag Oscar Wilde: "Either that wallpaper goes, or I do."

2. General John Sedgwick, a Union commander at the battle Spotsylvania, uttered the famous last words, “They couldn’t hit an elephant at this dista--”

And the number one famous last words:

1. Jesus, who told his servant John, "Yes, I am coming soon" (Revelation 22:20, NIV).

1 comment:

  1. Great list, but I think an honorable mention needs to go to Socrates' last words, "I DRANK WHAT?!"

    ReplyDelete