St. Thomas Aquinas Chapel, St. Meinrad Archabbey, St. Meinrad, IN

In early September the lovely Robin and I were blessed to spend a weekend in silence and prayer at St. Meinrad Archabbey in St. Meinrad, Indiana. Only afterward did I learn that St. Meinrad is one of only two archabbeys in the United States and one of eleven in the whole world.
The St. Thomas Aquinas Chapel in the Seminary and Theological School is where the seminarians worship together much of the time. It was built during the late 1800s and was remodeled twice in the twentieth century. It is a place that is simultaneously impressive and warm.
In the hall outside the chapel are large murals of St. Meinrad (above) and St. Benedict (below), the founder of the Order of Benedict.
While I didn't get to worship in the St. Thomas Aquinas Chapel (in fact, my visit was part of a whirlwind tour of the abbey at the beginning of our retreat), I'm so glad I at least got to see it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you sharing, facts & images as they exist.
    Not trying to place a 'squeeze on anyone's read'.
    I took and shared my own photos.
    But yours are better images than mine.

    ReplyDelete