My 119:11 Project, Pt. 5

This week's 119:11 Project was the toughest yet, partly because I was on the road and teaching in the classroom all week. I also discovered, at mid-week, that I drew a complete blank in the process of reviewing the other four psalms. I reviewed Psalm 1-3 without trouble, but when I got to Psalm 4:6, I could not remember what came next. I knew there was a verse before "You have given me greater joy," but I just blanked out until I looked it up. I suppose that won't be the last time.

So here is Psalm 5, typed from memory:
O Lord, hear me as I pray.
Pay attention to my groaning.
Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God,
for I pray to no one but you.
Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord.
Each morning I bring my requests to you
and wait expectantly.

O God, you take no pleasure in wickedness.
You cannot tolerate the sins of the wicked.
Therefore, the proud may not stand in your presence,
for you hate all who do evil.
You will destroy those who tell lies.
The Lord detests murderers and deceivers.

Because of your unfailing love, I can enter your house.
I will worship at your temple with deepest awe.
Lead me in the right path, O Lord,
or my enemies will conquer me.
Make your way plain for me to follow.

My enemies cannot speak a truthful word.
Their deepest desire is to destroy others.
Their talk is foul,
like the stench from an open grace.
Their tongues are filled with flattery.

O God, declare them guilty.
Let them be caught in their own traps.
Drive them away because of their many sins,
for they have rebelled against you.

But let all who take refuge in you rejoice!
Let them sing joyful praises forever!
Spread your protection over them,
that all who love your name may be filled with joy.
For you bless the godly, O Lord.
You surround them with your shield of love.
Looks like I nailed it. every word is correct. I'm learning to take special note of the "O Gods" and "O Lords," as it can be hard to keep track of them all.

But that makes five psalms so far committed to memory, and except for drawing a blank that one time, I continue to keep the previous psalms fresh by reciting them at least a couple times each day. In fact, I'll often review them in bed, as I try to disengage my brain from all the activity of the day or the impending activity of the next before going to sleep. It's a blessing.

It hasn't gotten old yet, not at all. I'm still enjoying it. And while I know it will get harder as I go along, I'm also expecting the blessings to multiply. It has already been amazing to see the correspondence between the psalm I am memorizing and what God is teaching me, telling me, or bringing me through at a particular time. "The entrance of thy words giveth light" (Psalm 119:130, KJV).

No comments:

Post a Comment