Church of the Week: First Presbyterian Church, Spokane, WA

On my recent trip to Spokane, Washington, I had the opportunity to join in the Sunday evening worship at Spokane's historic First Presbyterian Church.

The church dates back to 1883 (before Washington was a state). The oldest portion of the current church facility dates to 1910. The educational wing stretching west along Fourth Avenue was completed in 1951, and the most recent addition, which houses the fellowship hall, the gym and the preschool in the basement, was finished in 1995.

I was welcomed warmly shortly after entering, and enjoyed the contemporary worship led by the three-member worship team in a library/anteroom off the main sanctuary. The Sunday evening gathering welcomed a new pastor for this evening service, which was attended by about fifty people of varying ages. The group was beginning a study of the book of Ruth.

Before the service began, I was allowed to take a peek into the main sanctuary, which was spacious and beautiful. I tried not to be too disappointed that we didn't worship in the sanctuary...but I didn't succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment