Imaginary Jesus

Imaginary Jesus, by Matt Mikalatos, is not like any book you've ever read. Which is a good thing, and a bad thing.

It's a good thing because it is a refreshing, creative, impossible-to-categorize story of Matt's search for the real Jesus, rather than the imaginary Jesus (or Jesuses) of his own creation.

It's a bad thing because it's kind of too bad more writers and publishers don't take flights of fancy (and profundity) like this.

It's a good thing because it was so enjoyable and absorbing, I actually cancelled some of my plans for the day so I could keep reading, and finished it in less than twenty-four hours.

It's a bad thing because I'm self-employed, and I don't get paid to read.

But it's a good thing because Imaginary Jesus exposes as frauds some of the many Jesuses-of-our-own-creation and makes the reader hungry to find the REAL Jesus.

It's a bad thing because, in the process, he steps on some toes. Toes that need stepping on, sure, but it still hurts.

It's a good thing because it's often laugh-out-loud funny and occasionally moving and profound.

It's bad, though, because....well, I didn't write it. I hate that.

It's good, though, because...well, you should read it. You really should.

No comments:

Post a Comment