Top Ten Things I've Learned As a Pastor


I was ordained to the ministry nearly thirty-three years ago. In that time, I've learned a thing or two. Here are the top 10 things I've learned as a pastor.

1. Pastors have it all together. No unbelief, no depression, no struggles.

2. Pastors only have to work one day a week. The rest of the week is for other stuff, like fishing and hunting.

3. I don't mind church folk treating my home and time as their own. They can drop in anytime. No need to knock either.

4. Leadership is easy; you just tell people what to do.

5. Preaching is easy; you just tell people what to do.

6. It's hard to fill forty or fifty hours a week with teaching, preaching, sermon writing, hospital visitation, leadership meetings, answering emails and phone calls, pastoral counseling, staff meetings, planning sessions, coming up with new and fresh ideas, listening to complaints, meeting with hurting people, making difficult decisions, recruiting new volunteers, and so on.

7. My wife, like me, just lives to meet everyone's expectations of what a pastor's wife should be. Same with my kids. That's why we're here, to please everyone.

8. The nicest thing about being a pastor is nobody ever disagrees or gets mad at you. And even if they did, they would come to you and tell you instead of talking to others about you.

9. Pastors have things so easy, they don't need a day off or a Sabbath or much vacation at all. And sabbaticals would just be a waste of the church's money.

10. If you are a follower of Christ, you will be blessed financially. And pastors most of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment