Seize the Day

Like nearly everyone else these days, I've been thinking--and praying--a lot about (and for) Egypt lately. LIke many, I pray for the best while fearing the worst, or something like it, in Egypt's future.

In addition to my prayers and concerns, however, is a healthy dose of gratitude, because a year ago I was in Egypt with the lovely Robin. We had long wanted to visit the land of the Pharaohs--and the land of the Biblical Joseph and Moses. So, though at the time we weren't at all sure that we should take the time (out of busy, stressful schedules) and the expense (out of a tight, uncertain budget), we decided to spend seven days in Egypt after a ten-day tour of Jordan and Israel (trips you can read all about at my Hither & Yon blog).

I'm so glad we did. And so grateful.

There's no way to know when the next chance to go might have been. It's possible that future travel to Egypt may someday be more opportune than when we went. But I don't have to wonder or worry about that. Because we grabbed the opportunity when we had it.

It makes me hope, prayerfully, that I will likewise "seize the day" today, tomorrow, or this month or this year. Whether it's a chance to travel...or to speak the truth in love. Whether it's a business opportunity...or a family moment. There is no time like the present...to squeeze the last drop out of each new day. As Charles Wesley wrote, and I have often (too glibly) sung,
A charge to keep I have,
A God to glorify,
A never-dying soul to save,
And fit it for the sky.

To serve the present age,
My calling to fulfill:
O may it all my powers engage
To do my Master's will!

Arm me with jealous care,
As in Thy sight to live;
And O Thy servant, Lord, prepare
A strict account to give!

Help me to watch and pray,
And on Thyself rely,
Assured, if I my trust betray,
I shall for ever die.

No comments:

Post a Comment