Church of the Week: Chamberlain Hall

This week's featured church is Chamberlain Hall, the auditorium at The Salvation Army's Camp Swoneky in southwest Ohio, near Kings Island.

Chamberlain Hall was (I think) the first building constructed at Camp Swoneky in 1958, after The Salvation Army closed Camp Glendale in Cincinnati and moved the summer camping program here. I probably attended my first worship service (or "meeting," as they're called in Army parlance) here very soon after, as my family moved to the area in late 1958, while I was still an infant.

It has come to be a precious place to me, as it was my weekly "church" while I was on staff at camp during the summers of 1973-75 and 1978. I also remember many memorable Labor Day camp meetings, where I sat under the ministry of Dr. Tom Hermiz, Commissioner Andy Miller, and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment