I Know What You Should Read This Summer

Summer. Vacation. Barbecue. Beach. Books.

Am I right?

For many of us, the coming of summer brings the opportunity to read--at least more (or other) books than we do the rest of the year. So I’ve decided to offer a few suggestions of books I KNOW won't disappoint:

Biography/Memoir
American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham

Boone, by Robert Morgan

Pastrix: The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner and Saint, by Nadia Bolz-Weber (see my review
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, by Annie Dillard 
Life is Mostly Edges, by Calvin Miller (see my review

Classics
Robinson Crusoe, by Daniel Defoe  
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain 
East of Eden, by John Steinbeck 
The Call of the Wild, by Jack London 

Writing
Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life, by Anne Lamott

The Writing Life, by Annie Dillard

On Writing, by Stephen King

History

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World, by Jack Weatherford 
Contested Will: Who Wrote Shakespeare?, by James Shapiro 
No Ordinary Time, by Doris Kearns Goodwin
Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President, by Candice Millard

History Decoded: The 10 Greatest Conspiracies of All Time, by Brad Meltzer

Poetry
A Timbered Choir, by Wendell Berry
A Thousand Mornings, by Mary Oliver 
Kneeling in Jerusalem, by Ann Weems 
Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God, by Rainer Maria Rilke 

Christian/Inspirational
Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can Change Your Life, by Lois Tverberg (see my review)

An Altar in the World (A Geography of Faith), by Barbara Brown Taylor (see my review
The Challenge of Jesus: Rediscovering Who Jesus Was and Is, by N. T. Wright (see my review
From the Garden to the City (The Redeeming and Corrupting Power of Technology) by John Dyer (see my review
Viral (How Social Networking is Poised to Ignite Revival)by Leonard Sweet (see my review)  
A Year of Biblical Womanhood (How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband Master)by Rachel Held Evans (see my review
Jesus: A Theography, by Leonard Sweet and Frank Viola (see my review
In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day, by Mark Batterson (see my review
Leap Over a Wall, by Eugene Peterson 

Fiction

Jayber Crow, by Wendell Berry

Naomi and Her Daughters, by Walter Wangerin (read my review)

A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving 

My Recent Releases
The Red Letter Life: 17 Words of Jesus to Inspire Simple, Practical, Purposeful Living
Northkill (a historical novel) 
Life Stinks...And Then You Die: Living Well in a Sick World 

(photo credit: ngader via www.everystockphoto.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment