10 Signs We Don’t Believe in the Power of the Holy Spirit

Usually the Top Ten lists I share here on the Desperate Pastor blog are intended to be humorous. But this one, swiped from Tony Morgan's excellent blog, is an exception. I think he's dead on, and pray for the Holy Spirit to correct these things in me and in my church. Tony writes,
Several weeks ago I was thinking about how little we talk about the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives as Christ-followers. I began to consider how I live out my life, and, I was convicted…which, by the way, is one indication that the Holy Spirit is active in our lives. I thought it might be good to consider the conversation here especially as it relates to leaders in the Church. Based on that, here are…

10 Signs that We Don’t Believe in the Power of the Holy Spirit
  1. We are experiencing anxiety and bitterness in our lives rather than joy and kindness. (Galatians 5:22-23)
  2. We can’t remember the last time we prayed for the people we lead. (Romans 8:26)
  3. The churches we lead aren’t growing and reaching more people. (Acts 9:31)
  4. The churches we lead aren’t outreach focused. (Acts 1:8)
  5. We think it’s our responsibility to convict people of sin. (John 16:8)
  6. We are stuck in sinful patterns rather than pursuing the things of God. (Galations 5:16:17)
  7. We think we have the power to change people. (2 Corinthians 3:17-18)
  8. We are more concerned about the rules than we are our freedom in Christ. (Galations 3:2-3)
  9. We think we can explain the mysteries of God. (1 Corinthians 2:10-12)
  10. We are creating division and aren’t promoting unity within the Church. (1 Corinthians 12:12-13)
It might be good to begin the week and this next season of ministry by studying and praying through this list. My prayer is that your life and your ministry would continue to experience its fullest potential in the power of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment