Good for the Soul

The news is all over the interwebs today about the new iPhone app that walks a Catholic through multiple screens of self-examination and prepares them (even shows the appropriate phrasing) for the sacrament of confession (the link above will take you to a fairly thorough review of the app, which costs $1.99).

Got me thinking. There are multiple other iPhone apps I could use that would greatly help my spiritual life. I already use the Divine Hours Pocket Edition (in Kindle) when I'm traveling. I jot down prayer requests in Notes. But those represent just the tip of the iceberg.

I need an app that will set off a deafening alarm when temptation approaches, whether I'm driving too close to a donut shop or watching TV when a Victoria's Secret commercial comes on.

I need an app that will do my daily Bible reading for me. Maybe while I'm sleeping.

I need an app that will translate "Christianese" into what people really mean. You know, like the person who says, "Bless your heart," but really means, "You're an idiot."

I need an app that will forgive people FOR me. So I don't have to.

I need an app that will memorize Scripture for me. That would be awesome.

There are a lot more that would be handy to have. But just those would make it possible, I think, for me to be an AMAZING Christian. In fact, come to think of it, I blame Steve Jobs that I'm not a better follower of Jesus than I am. COME ON, Steve, get a move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment